Dylan Martin | Communications Director | Contact: email@example.com
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, the Executive Board of the California College Republicans endorsed a resolution by the Main College Republicans calling for greater immigration restrictions in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The text of the resolution is below.
"In times of crisis, Americans have come together to keep our country safe. We, as young American patriots, have united to support a resolution urging President Donald J. Trump to pass an indefinite moratorium on all immigration to the United States of America. We have entered an unprecedented time and must prioritize the safety and security of our citizens. Many public health measures have already been enacted to protect the American people, but we fear these measures may not be enough.
It is uncertain when the Wuhan Virus will be eradicated and we must take every precaution to prevent its spread. The need for secure borders--air, land, and sea--could never be greater to prevent the disease from being reintroduced to our country. Most overseas flights have been halted and tourist destinations shut down, but a porous land border combined with continued importation of refugees, guest workers, and foreign students render these policies ineffective. Consequently, the Trump Administration should implement a moratorium on all immigration and re-dedicate its efforts to complete the border wall, preempting the spread of the virus. These policies will ensure the safety of our citizens and do everything necessary to combat the spread of the Wuhan Virus. Specifically, we as a coalition of College Republicans nationwide, resolve together in calling on President Trump to use his emergency powers to:
● Stop all resettlement of unaccompanied minors claiming asylum status on the southern border;
● Suspend the refugee resettlement program;
● Suspend issuance of any and all new foreign student visas under the F-1 student visa program;
● End the Optional Practical Training program allowing hundreds of thousands of F-1 foreign student visa holders to extend their stays and gain employment in the U.S. displacing U.S. workers;
● Suspend the H-1B visa lottery for foreign tech workers from China and India who are displacing American tech workers and undercutting American STEM undergrads and grad students whose livelihoods have been upended by the Wuhan Virus pandemic;
● Suspend the EB-5 citizenship-for-sale program that primarily benefits wealthy Chinese investors;
● Block any “DACA deal” granting amnesty and work permits to 800,000 illegal alien “DREAMers;”
● Tax all alien workers’ remittances (cash transfers back to their home countries which totaled more than $573 billion in 2019); and
● Finish the southern border wall and shore up air, land, and sea assets on our northern border as well.
Furthermore, during the COVID-19 crisis, it has become abundantly clear that America should at minimum be self-sufficient for pharmaceutical drugs and other necessary medical supplies. As a result of the globalization of the U.S. economy, several essential production and supply lines have been offshored to foreign countries--leaving all of us young and old alarmingly vulnerable to shortages and unacceptably dependent on the Communist regime from which the virus originated in the first place.
As College Republicans who reject the dangerous open-borders agenda, we are united in calling on President Trump to adhere to and implement a platform to Buy American, Hire American, and put America First--beginning with an immediate and indefinite immigration moratorium that protects the health, safety, and welfare of our citizens against globalist threats.
Resolution Cosponsors: California College Republicans, The Real University of Maine College Republicans, Bruin Republicans at UCLA, America First Bruins, Berkeley College Republicans, College Republicans United at Arizona State University, San Diego State University College Republicans, and Hussan University College Republicans"